Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tyranids!!!

Group shot! I painted up three termagaunts, each a different color scheme to try them out.

I went up to my local nerd store (plug here for Warzone) and purchased a single sprue from a box the owner had open.

This guy is my favorite, my homemade bleached bone color was used on the skin, and the carapace was a mix of reaper's blood red and my craft paint orange.

Each of the tyranids claws, hooves, and teeth were left base coated white.

I used the pink from the other termagaunts skin to color the open wounds on the arms.

This lucky guy had a deep blue carapace and a homemade version of rotting flesh.

I added the little skull for fun!

Here is a close up of number three. Each of the 'nids were dipped, and you can see just how nicely the tone came out, seeping into the recesses, and leaving the surface only slightly darker then the original color.

I left the carapace base coated white on this fella, i think he turned out pretty nice, for only have the base paint of white, pink skin, and strong tone dip on him.

Obviously the dipping method isn't a golden demon winner. However, the time it took for each of these guys is only about 4-6 minutes each. With a colored spray paint base, i could cut that time down a bit. They still look great. These guys where sprayed with the matte varnish (it was significantly less humid). They came out very matte, which would have been perfect for guardsman ... but not for slimy aliens. So i added an additional mildly glossy varnish for just the right amount of reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment