Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Planetfall in Columbus

Aside from having an awesome title, today's post exists to commemorate the first (FIRST!) Warhammer 40k game that our kitchen ring has played in Columbus. I'll make it light on words, and get to some fun pictures, but let me set the stage:

A Tau leader and his Firewarrior escourts have crash landed on a small planet at the edge of the Imperium of Man. Upon their arrival, they encountered a small band of Orks and managed to coerce them into working together to escape this derelect rock.

Derelect or not, Mankind will brook no trespass, and this rock belongs to the Emperor...

Bill's 500pts of Dark Angels vs. Ryan's Tau (250pts) and Ian's Orks (250pts) - Dawn of War, Annihilation.

Heading into the game, it was my hope to plop a full tactical squad behind cover to let them bolter-down the inevitable green horde, while drop podding my Company Master and five more marines amidst the Tau, with my five scouts supporting either effort as needed.

Shown above, my marines and scouts are in place behind some wreckage midfield at the end of turn one, Branch's shooters are approaching the roof of an Orky hut to the North, and Ian has begun his charge from the Southeast, with a bunch of gretchin in the lead.

Somewhat surprisingly, this game began to take the shape that I had expected, and I grew excited. The grots didn't look like they'd make it to me before dying, so I figured my scouts may as well make their way to the Firewarriors to engage them in melee, relying on the tactical squad to shoot up those Orks next, or die honorably while I took out Ryan's HQ with an impending drop pod of baddies. At this point, I think we each thought we were winning.

Around turn three, my Company Master made planetfall, and I really expected these cats to make short work of this HQ... Turns out, I underestimated the crisis suits that these middling xenos were hiding in. This encounter favored Ryan early, but once he engaged me in melee, it seemed more of a draw - the game ended before either HQ died, but to my foes' credit, an entire ork swarm was hitting the brakes to the south and turning toward my Company Master!

More to my liking, it turns out one space marine scout sergeant CAN fight an entire squad of firewarriors, and he managed to kill the seventh (only viscera in the shot above) before he and the other six settled into an uneventful but impressive stalemate.

WAAAGH! After the drop pod hit, I exerienced my first real life Waaagh!. Luckily, it didn't quite get the Boyz close enough to assault my HQ.

In closing, we hit the end at turn five, before the Orks could really bring their wrath down, which would have spelled more certain destruction for me. Even with that blessing, by a measure of points lost, the Dark Angels received greater casualties, and I congratulate my opponents!

Of course, we'll be back with reinforcements, and this planet will be cleansed!

2 comments:

  1. the only thing missing is a sheet over those tables. Are those ian's buildings, that are badass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they ruled! Ian totally downplayed them, but they were great!

    Yeah, I need to buy a green sheet to just carry around, now that I think about it. I wonder if bed sheets exhist of the moon. Like with craters and stuff. That could be funny.

    ReplyDelete